NULL Pain Revisited

In an earlier post, I covered an issue with special characters in Transact-SQL. I ended up creating a scalar function to handle it. Well, fast-forward a few months and now my query’s inability to go parallel is really starting to cause trouble. And, yes, scalar functions are absolutely poisonous to parallelism.

Anyway, I revisited the idea of stripping the null characters inline, rather than calling a function, and somewhere out there on the intarwebs I found this gem:

SELECT @var = REPLACE(@var COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN, NCHAR(0x00) COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN, NCHAR(9));

In my case, I’m replacing all instances with a tab character.

But I can’t find or remember where I got it! So, my sincere apologies to the real source, whoever you are. But even if I can’t claim ownership or identify the source, I still want to make sure this one’s out there for everyone else’s benefit.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *